Pagina 1 di 1

le, general manager Steve Yzermans searc

MessaggioInviato: 01/03/2018, 9:25
da lw789
PHILADELPHIA -- A federal judge is slowing down the proposed US$765 million settlement of NFL concussion claims, questioning if theres enough money to cover 20,000 retired players. U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody denied preliminary approval of the plan on Tuesday because shes worried the money could run out sooner than expected. She also raised concerns that anyone who gets concussion damages from the NFL would be barred from suing the NCAA or other amateur football leagues. "I am primarily concerned that not all retired NFL football players who ultimately receive a qualifying diagnosis or their (families) ... will be paid," the judge wrote. The proposed settlement, negotiated over several months, is designed to last at least 65 years. The awards would vary based on an ex-players age and diagnosis. A younger retiree with Lou Gehrigs disease would get $5 million, those with serious dementia cases would get $3 million and an 80-year-old with early dementia would get $25,000. Retirees without symptoms would get baseline screening and follow-up care if needed. "Even if only 10 per cent of retired NFL football players eventually receive a qualifying diagnosis," the judge wrote, "it is difficult to see how the Monetary Award Fund would have the funds available over its lifespan to pay all claimants at these significant award levels." She asked for more raw financial data before scheduling a fairness hearing this year, when objectors can question the plan. The objectors could later decide to opt out of it. Law professor Gabe Feldman, who directs the sports law program at the Tulane University Law School, called the ruling a setback but said "theres no reason to panic." "The question remains whether this gives pause to some of the retired players and makes them question whether this is a settlement they want to be a part of," he said. Some critics said the NFL, with more than $9 billion in annual revenue, was getting away lightly. But the players lawyers said they would face huge challenges just to get the case to trial. They would have to prove the injuries were linked to the players NFL service and should not be handled through league arbitration. They could end up with nothing. Sol Weiss, a lead lawyer for the ex-players, remained confident the class action settlement will ultimately be approved. He said he was confident "that there will be enough money to cover these claims for 65 years." NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said league officials were "confident that the settlement is fair and adequate and look forward to demonstrating that to the court." More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia. The judges hand-picked mediator, former federal judge Layn R. Phillips, led several months of negotiations last year and has called the deal fair to both sides. The settlement would include $675 million for compensatory claims for players with neurological symptoms, $75 million for baseline testing for asymptomatic men and $10 million for medical research and education. The NFL also would pay an additional $112 million to the players lawyers for their fees and expenses, for a total payout of nearly $900 million. The NCAA clause is apparently designed to prevent plaintiffs from double dipping. Feldman said he was unsure why the NFL would insist on that. Given the judges ruling, the two sides could offer more evidence the fund would be stable, change the payout formula or perhaps have the NFL add more money to the pot. Otherwise, they may be left to start over. "I think its a pretty efficient way of doing things, rather than bring it up for the first time at the fairness hearing," Matt Mitten, who directs the National Sports Law Institute at the Marquette University Law School, said of the judges opinion. "Some of these guys need the money right now." Ron Santo Jersey . - Even with a new coach, the Denver Nuggets still love to push the basketball. Kosuke Fukudome Jersey .J. Hardy finally got in on the fun Saturday, against a likely opponent. http://www.cubsteamproshop.com/cubs-jas ... rd-jersey/. -- Two nights after losing to the Eastern Conferences worst team, the Phoenix Coyotes handled the best. Andre Dawson Jersey .J. - The New Jersey Devils know the odds are against them as they chase a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Hector Rondon Jersey . - San Diego Padres centre fielder Cameron Maybin is going to be out two to three months after rupturing his left biceps tendon during a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday.TAMPA, Fla. -- A week after finding a way to keep Ryan Callahan in Tampa Bay, the Lightning have landed two of his former teammates to help him. Defenceman Anton Stralman was lured to the Lightning as a free agent on Tuesday with a $22.5 million, five-year contract. He scored one goal and had 13 assists last season for the New York Rangers, and had five assists in 25 playoff games. A few hours later, centre Brian Boyle became the second member of the Eastern Conference champions to join the Lightning on the opening day of NHL free agency when he agreed to a three-year contract. Meanwhile, general manager Steve Yzermans search for a backup goaltender snared Evgeni Nabokov, a veteran of 13 NHL seasons who was with the New York Islanders last season. Stralman, 27, has 18 career goals and 112 points over seven seasons with the Rangers, Columbus and Toronto. Stralman had career highs with six goals and 34 points with the Blue Jackets during the 2009-10 season. The addition of Stralman, Boyle and Nabokov bolsters a roster that many felt would lose Callahan to free agency because his asking price might be too high.dddddddddddd Instead, the veteran right wing obtained in the trade that sent Martin St. Louis to the Rangers late last season signed a six-year, $34.8 million to remain in Tampa Bay. Yzerman, who made a trio of cost-saving trades over the weekend to create additional salary cap space for the start of free agency Tuesday, also announced the signing of right wing Mike Blunden, who appeared in seven games for the Montreal Canadiens last season. Forward Mike Angelidis was re-signed to a one-year, two-way contract. The flurry of activity as free agency began came on the heels of the Lightning trading forward Teddy Purcell to Edmonton in exchange for Sam Gagner, who was in turn packaged with B.J. Crombeen and sent to Phoenix for a draft pick. Yzerman capped a busy weekend by trading veteran forward Nate Thompson to Anaheim for two draft picks late Sunday. The moves created more than $5 million in cap space, giving the Lightning about $13 million heading into free agency. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '